Read more International Cases
Lennart combines a thriving international practice – with many years of experience on cases before different international tribunals – with a maturing Crown Court practice in which he is highly regarded by solicitors and lay clients.
He also has a strong commercial background at Clifford Chance and a leading consultancy firm, which has led him to develop a commercial practice.
Background and Expertise
Lennart is a highly experienced international lawyer who is frequently instructed, as a led junior, on projects advising governments and international organisations. Last year, he was invited to be a keynote speaker at an International Bar Assocation (IBA) conference in London.
He offers legal advice and representation for governments, individuals or entities upon whom UK or international (including UN or EU) sanctions have been imposed.
Before joining 9 Bedford Row, Lennart spent over two-and-a-half years as a full-time legal assistant on the defence team in the case of Prosecutor v Stojan Zupljanin before the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.
Lennart is regularly instructed in a wide range of serious criminal matters. He is an excellent advocate, praised for his ability to analyse large volumes of complex information and present this clearly.
Lennart has also developed a commercial practice – assisted by his previous experience as a solicitor at Clifford Chance and as a management consultant for a leading international consultancy firm in London.
Lennart frequently advises corporate clients and other entities both in the UK and abroad on data protection and privacy, particularly in respect of compliance with the GDPR. This includes:
- Advising on specific responsibilities under GDPR
- Compliance checks
- Data protection policies
- Drafting controller-processor contracts
- Contracts involving third party processors outside the EU
- Contracts involving third party processors in jurisdictions without an adequate level of data protection as determined by the EU Commission
- Cross-border transfer of data
- Security and privacy controls
- Data protection impact assessments
- Advice on breach and possible supervisory authority investigations
- Advice and representation before the ICO or other supervisory authority
Recent work has involved advising a corporate client in the Cayman Islands and drafting agreements involving the transfer of data to a jurisdiction without an adequate level of data protection.
Part of small team led by Steven Kay QC, commissioned by the State Lawsuit (Litigation) Authority of Egypt to provide a series of reports on the Muslim Brotherhood.
Co-drafted a preliminary report for the UN Independent Commission of Inquiry (COI) on the 2014 Gaza Conflict, on behalf of a Palestinian human rights group – in respect of war crimes allegedly committed by Israel during its military offensive against Gaza during the summer of 2014.
Main author of a report, giving an overview of an investigation aiming to identify potential charges of crimes against humanity and war crimes allegedly committed by Syrian officials and military against the civilian population. The report was submitted to the Office of the Chief Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) and also to authorities in Spain, the UK and Germany.
Member of a London-based defence team led by Steven Kay QC acting for some of the most high-profile defendants brought before the Bangladesh International Crimes Tribunal in Dhaka. Those accused were charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity during the 1971 Bangladesh War of Independence.
Currently instructed as counsel for one of the key parties in respect of the Grenfell fire disaster
Defended in drugs case involving large-scale police sting operation.
See article in the Oxford Times.
Case in Leicester Crown Court, concerning a sexual offence allegation against a minor.
Other Activities and Interests
- Guest speaker at international conferences
- Recent keynote speaker at the IBA–European Law Students’ Association conference on the history of international tribunals.
- Contributor to legal articles and blogs on international criminal law and sanctions.
- Co-author of Sanctions listing to lifting, Money Laundering Bulletin 2015
- Co-author of Bangladesh’s Contribution to International Criminal Justice, Huffington Post UK, 22 July 2014 (with Toby Cadman of 9 Bedford Row)
- Bangladeshi Tribunals Are Characterized By Vengeance, Not Justice, The Daily Caller, 20 May 2014 (with Toby Cadman of 9 Bedford Row)
- Imperfect justice in Bangladeshi war crimes tribunals, The Daily Caller, 30 January 2014 (with Toby Cadman of 9 Bedford Row)
PROFILE: Lennart Poulsen
Confiscation / POCA
Fraud, Bribery & Corruption
Confiscation / POCA
Fraud, Bribery & Corruption
Financial and Corporate law
020 7489 2727
LLM (Distinction), University of Warwick
BVC (Very Competent), Inns of Court School of Law (City University)
Criminal Bar Association, IBA