Read more Notable cases
Jens Dieckmann is a German Lawyer. He is Founding and Senior Partner of Becher & Dieckmann in Bonn. The practice was established in 1997.
Jens Dieckmann can offer clients more than 20 years of high level international litigation and negotiation practice in high profile, complex cases, combined with highly developed advocacy skills. He has worked in and lead international teams of lawyers at various international criminal tribunals.
Background and expertise
International Criminal Practice
- Jens Dieckmann has represented clients in all areas of national and international Criminal Law incl.
- International Business Crimes
- Serious Crimes
- War Crimes
- Cross Boarder Defence
- Terrorist Cases (incl. Al Qaida (GIMF and Al Tawhid/Al Zarkawi), GIA (Algeria) – and FDLR-Cases)
In addition, Jens Dieckmann has a varied national and international practice as Counsel in International Human Rights Law (incl. UN Human Rights Council and European Court of Human Rights) as well as Asylum Law and Immigration Law. In Germany, he has been instructed in more than 7.000 cases cases in Asylum and Immigration Law since 1996.
He has represented and advised private clients from more than 80 different countries. He provides consultancy to Governments and NGOs in the field of International Criminal Law and Asylum Law.
Recently, he expanded his experience and international practice to the field of International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution. He is a Member of the German Institution of Arbitration (DIS e.V.) and Associate Member of the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC).
Approved Counsel for the following courts
- The International Criminal Court (ICC)
- The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY)
- The International Criminal Tribunal for Ruanda (ICTR)
- United Nations Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (MICT)
- The Special Tribunal for the Lebanon (STL)
- Part II of the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Courts’ Register of Legal Practitioners (2013-2017)
Associated Legal Work
Jens Dieckmann regularly trains and gives key note lectures in Asylum and Immigration Law as well as International Criminal Law inter alia at the Universities of Oxford, Lausanne, Vienna and Kyiv.
- Member of German Bar Association (DAV)
- Member of International Criminal Bar (ICB-BPI)
- Member of Association of Defence Counsel at the ICTY (ADC-ICTY)
- Member of International Criminal Court Bar Association (ICCBA)
- Member of the German Association for the United Nations e.V. (DGVN)
- Member of amnesty international
- Member of The German Institution for Arbitration (DIS e.V.)
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA; Committees: War Crimes, Arbitration; Arab Regional Forum)
- Member of Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC; Associate Member)
- Member of Arbeitskreis Völkerstrafrecht
- 2006 to present - Elected member to the Board of the ADC-ICTY (membership-committee, amicus curiae committee, ad hoc committee for Post Tribunal Matters, 2014-2016 executive committee and Co Vice President of the ADC-ICTY, 2016-2017 Chair of the disciplinary committee)
- 2007 to present - Vice President International Criminal Defence Lawyer – ICDL – Germany e.V.
- 2015 to present - Committee Officer/Conference Coordinator, Co Vice Chair of the War Crimes Committee of the International Bar Association (IBA)
- 2015/16 - Member of the Drafters Committee and the Interim Board of the International Criminal Court Bar Association (ICCBA)
- 2016/17 - Elected member to the ICCBA Executive Council (being one of in toto 14 elected members of the EC) as well as to the ICCBA Professional Standards Advisory Committee.
- 2017/2018 - Re-elected member to the ICCBA Executive Council. Elected ICCBA Vice- President for Victims and Chair of the ICCBA Victims Committee.
- 2017 - Appointed to the Legal Advisors Conference on Refugee Law of the Independent Welfare Organizations and the UNHCR in Germany (“Rechtsberaterkonferenz”)
Co-lead Defence Counsel for Sredoje Lukic, Trial and Appeal (partly acquitted).
Duty Counsel, Indictment withdrawn by OTP.
Lead Defence Counsel, Trial and Appeal.
Assigned ad hoc Counsel in the interest of the Defence of Joseph Kony et al., admissibility procedure and Appeal.
(Situation in Darfur, Sudan), Common Legal Representative, Associate Counsel, for all participating victims.
Assigned permanent Defence Counsel.
Assigned Witness Counsel to Mr. Dragomir Pecanac.