James used to practise from chambers, and is now the joint ‘Director of Programmes’ for the BPP Law School’s Bar Professional Training Course.
Background and expertise
James qualified for the Bar in 1994, and practised full time until the end of the millennium. He has been active as a door tenant since. He has been enjoying a varied criminal practice.
James joined BPP in 2001. At BPP James has been at the forefront of developing the advocacy programmes across BPP, writing a number of courses that have been accredited by Solicitors Regulatory Authority. He led the advocacy module on the BPTC at BPP for decade; and it was widely praised under his leadership. In 2006 he was posted to Leeds to open up the BPTC Programme there (the first provider of the BPTC to have a second site) and since 2009 he has been jointly responsible for running all of BPP’s BPTC Programmes.
James has been involved with projects for BPP outside the BPTC. He was involved in a ground breaking project by invitation of the CPS Director of London where he was involved in assessing and grading prosecution advocates in the Crown Court. He has been commissioned to write and deliver training to CPS advocates, and indeed for the Service Prosecuting Authority.
Publications and citations
- 'Advocacy in the Magistrates Court', Cavendish
- Training of Army prosecutors was described as "the best that we've had" by the Director of the Service Prosecuting Authority, Bruce Holder QC
- The reaction to James’s training of the advocates in the British dependency of St Helena was described by the Chief Justice of St Helena as being 'universally ecstatic'
- Colin McCaul QC, reviewing the quality of BPP's BVC (now BPTC) advocacy training said that he was 'incredibly impressed' by James's teaching
- James was on the faculty at the prestigious Keble College Oxford Advocacy training organised by the South East Circuit, where his feedback was described by Tim Dutton QC (the course leader) as 'excellent'
- James performed a mock trial in front of students from the William Mitchell University USA and was described as 'epic’.
PROFILE: James Welsh
020 7489 2727
2000 - Accredited Advocacy Trainer
1994 - Called to the Bar
1993 - Common Professional Exam
1992 - BA Hons Politics, 2.1, Durham University