Joe is an international lawyer who operates in diverse national and international jurisdictions, including fragile and conflict-affected regions.
He is dual-qualified before the Bars of England and Wales and New York. He speaks Spanish and some French.
Background and expertise
Joe offers expertise in international criminal law, public international law, international humanitarian law, strategic litigation, counter-terrorism and human rights law. He is a recognised subject matter expert in rule of law capacity-building, deployable to conflict-affected countries.
MICT-15-96 Advising the former head of Serbian state security, alleged to be President Milosevic’s right-hand man, in his retrial before the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals.
ICTY; IT-09-92-T Acting for the former colonel general and commanding officer of the Army of the Republika Srpska in Bosnia–Herzegovina.
Read more International Cases
Other Activities and Interests
- Panellist on ‘Peace v Justice, the Jus Post Bellum Dilemma’ at the International Bar Association War Crimes Committee Annual Conference, 2017
- Trainer for the Association of Defence Counsel practising before the International Courts and Tribunals (ADC-ICT)
- Designs and delivers bespoke training programmes for judges, prosecutors and defence lawyers in Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Co-author of Call to Arms, International Bar Association North American Forum Regional Newsletter, 2013
- International Criminal Justice?, Criminal Law and Justice Weekly, 2012
- The Third International Defense Conference - International Criminal Justice: Justice for Whom?, Criminal Bar Quarterly, 2012
- Assisted Suicide – the Case for Reform, Criminal Law and Justice Weekly, 2012
- Co-author of Weighing up the Evidence, Counsel, 2010
Professional Commentary and Attribution
"He cuts to the heart of complex cases" (Legal 500, 2020)
'His ability to spot legal problems and work around or through them is second to none' (Legal 500, 2018)
"He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of international criminal law and his advocacy is very persuasive." (Legal 500, 2017)
PROFILE: Joe Holmes
"Absolutely wonderful. He has a fantastic legal mind and an encyclopaedic knowledge of international criminal law and procedure. His written advocacy is second to none."
Chambers UK, 2020
Inquests / public inquiries
Human rights law
020 7489 2727
BVC, College of Law
LPC, Nottingham Law School
BA Law with European Law, University of Nottingham
Diploma en Derecho Espanol, Universitat de Valencia
IBA, CBA, New York State Bar Association, JUSTICE
State of New York, Attorney – passed bar exams in 2007. Licensed to practise in New York State and federal jurisdictions in the US.
Senior Justice Reform Advisor, Axiom International
Legal Consultant, Global Rights Compliance (GRC)